Oviedo guide

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

What to see and visit in Asturias?

Oviedo capital of the Principality of Asturias

Oviedo has its origins in the 8th century. It was founded thanks to the installation of the Monastery of Fromestano on the hill of Ovetao, where thanks to its good location a site was built first, then a town and in the 18th century it was named the capital of the Principality of Asturias. Where did he get his name from. The passage of Santiago's road For the city and the creation of the University, they have kept it as a city alive and open to new trends.

Monuments in Oviedo

  • Los Pilares aqueduct (c / Roberto S. Velázquez-Los Pilares): it was built in the 16th century, in order to supply the city with water, which has been done until 1875. In its origins it consisted of 41 arches, of which nowadays There were only 5. Its engineers were Juan de Cerecedo "el Joven" and Gonzalo de la Bárcena.
  • The wall (c / Paraíso, mainly): it is of medieval origin. And when it was built it was 1,400 meters high. long surrounding the city. Currently, they are only kept loose all throughout the city. It was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument.
  • Fountain of La FoncaladaIt was built by the Asturian king Alfonso III the Great between 866-910. It belongs to the High Middle Ages. It was built to protect a spring and was for public use.

    - town hall (Plaza del Ayuntamiento s / n, Tel .: 985 98 18 00): it is in the Baroque style. It was built by the architect Juan de Naveda, right next to the medieval wall. In 1939 it was renovated. The symbol of the city is the Marble Lion, which is located at the main gate. Before it was located in the Plaza Mayor and then it was moved to its current location. It is the custodial symbol of democratic values.

    - HotelLa Reconquista (c / Gil de Jaz, 16): it is located in an 18th century Baroque Palace, it was the Hospital and Hospice of the Principality. It was built by order of King Fernando VI and the work was carried out by the architect Pedro AntonioMenéndez. It is of incredible architectural beauty. In it all the personalities and the Kings and Princes of Spain stay, during the delivery of the Prince of Asturias Awards. Highlights: the Chapel designed by the architect Ventura Rodríguezy and built by Manuel Reguera González. It is dedicated to the Virgin of Covadonga. The Patio de la Reina also stands out, in commemoration of the visit of Isabel II.

    - Market and Plaza del Fontán (Pl. Del Fontán): it is a porticoed square located in the old town and one of the most emblematic places in Oviedo. It was built in 1792 by the architect Francisco Pruneda y Cañal, as a public market square. Currently, together with the adjoining square of Daoíz and Velarde, it is a meeting point and an interesting market takes place on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

  • Campoamor Theater (Pelayo, s / n): it is neoclassical. It was built in 1883 and 1892 by the architect Juan Miguelde la Guardia, according to the plans designed by José LópezSalaberry and Sirgo Borrajo Montenegro. Its construction by public subscription of the bourgeoisie, who felt the need to have a theater with sufficient capacity and that was up to their needs. In its time it was built with the most innovative technologies and great detail. Since its inauguration in 1892, it has become the nerve center of the city. The Prince of Asturias Awards for arts and sciences are currently being awarded, and it has been remodeled and restored many times and is in perfect condition.

Cathedral and Churches in Oviedo

  • Cathedral of San Salvador (Plaza Alfonso II, Tel .: 985 22 10 33): it is in the early Gothic and Baroque style. It was built in the 9th century on the remains of a pre-Romanesque church of San Salvador from 761, which had been destroyed by the Arabs. King Alfonso II had it rebuilt and dedicated to the same Saint and to the 12 apostles. It is a cathedral complex of great interest and has many highlights such as: the Holy Chamber (it was used as a palatine oratory, currently it is a museum), the Cross of the Angels, the old tower, the church museum, the Holy Ark, the pilgrims' cemetery, Chapter House, the cloister. It is perfectly restored, since they have not stopped restoring it over the centuries.
  • Church of San Isidoro el Real (Pl. De la Constitución): it is located opposite the Town Hall. It is in a classicist style with baroque elements. It was built between 1616 and 1681 by the architect Francisco Menéndez Camina, el Viejo. Its façade and exterior are sober and, on the other hand, its interior is covered in sumptuousness. In 2004 3 old carvings from the 18th century were recovered, which once restored were exhibited. One of them is that of San Isidoro, patron of the city. It was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument.
  • Santo Domingo Convent (Pl. Santo Domingo): it is located in the Champillín gardens. It was founded in 1518 by the Jesuits and preachers. It is currently the College of the Dominicans. Its Church stands out, which was declared a National Monument in 1944. This was built by Juan deCerecedo "El Viejo". It has a mixture of styles: baroque, plateresque, gothic, neoclassical. Also noteworthy are: the altarpiece and the Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, as well as the baroque altarpiece of the Chapel of the Nazarene. Its neoclassical portico has a great platerescade ornamentation.
  • Chapel of Our Mrs. of the Chaste King: it was built in the 18th century, on the remains of the pre-Roman basilica Santa María, which was from the 9th century. It is the pantheon chapel of the Asturian Kings. In 1705 Bishop Tomás Reluz had it built by the architect Bernardo de Haces. The pantheon is right at the entrance to the temple and is separated from the rest by bars where the names of the kings buried there appear.
  • Church of San Juan El Real (entrance to 3 streets Campoamor, Doctor Casal and MelquíadesÁlvarez): it was built on the remains of a previous one, which was demolished. This was built between 1912 and 1915, it is in Romanesque style. From the outside, its polychrome and its beautiful forms (2 square bell towers, a neo-Romanesque portico) attract attention. Inside, its modernist windows stand out, the frescoes on its dome ...
  • Monastery of San Pelayo (c / San Vicente, 5): it belongs to the order of the Benedictines, called las pelayas. It was built in the 10th century by order of the widow of King Sanchoel Gordo de León, who had the relics of San Pelayo transferred. It is pre-Romanesque in style. It is located next to the Church of SantaMaría la Real de la Corte. The monastery church was completed in 1601, by Bernardo de la Cajiga and Diego de Villa. Its cover is in the Herrerian style. Also noteworthy is the facade of the Asturian-style Baroque Vicarage, which is adjacent to the monastery.
  • Church of San Julián de los Prados (Bº de Santullano): it was built between the years 812 and 842 by order of King Alfonso IIel Casto. It is the largest pre-Romanesque temple in Spain and was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and also a National Monument.
  • Church of San Tirso (Pl. AlfonsoII): it was built in the 9th century, originally it was in the pre-Romanesque style, but today, after numerous restorations over the centuries, it only conserves a window on the eastern side, in that style.

Palaces and Castles in Oviedo

  • Rúa Palace (Plaza Alfonso II El Casto, old town): it is in the late Gothic style and was ordered to be built at the end of the 15th century by Alonso González de la Rúa. It is a sober palace with military airs. Its façade and its main ashlar door should be highlighted.
  • Palace of the Marquis of Camposagrado (Plaza de Porlier, old town): it is in the Baroque style. It was built in 1710, by the architect Francisco de la Riba Ladronde Guevara and by order of José Bernardo de Quirós, III Marquésde Campo Sagrado. The palace is square with a central courtyard and distributed over 4 floors. The highlight is its rococo façade in Plaza Porlier, the other façade is more discreet and is on c / San Juan. It was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1943 and is the current Superior Court of Justice of Asturias.
  • Regional Palace (C Fruela 17): it is in the neo-French style. The government ordered it to be built in 1910 to install the headquarters of the Provincial Council of the Principality. It was built on the remains of the Convent of San Francisco, by the architect Nicolás García Rivero. The most remarkable thing is inside: its staircase, its furniture, decorative objects are very beautiful, its meeting room of the regional parliament ... Currently it is the headquarters of the General Meeting of the Principality of Asturias.
  • Palace of the Dukes of the Park (old town): it was built in 1723 by the VII Marqués de Vallecerrato, by the architect Francisco de la RibaLadrón de Guevara. It is in the baroque style. Highlight a fountain located on a part of its left wall, known by the name of Cañu de Fontán, which was built in 1657 and restored in 1989.
  • Palace of Toreno or Mallena (Pl. De Porlier, old town): it is in the Baroque style. In this house the famous politician and historian JoséMaría Queipo de Llano, VII count of Toreno, was born. The Count of Toreno commissioned its construction in 1673 to the architect Gregorio de la Roza. Its asymmetric and original façade stands out, built of ashlars, its portal with columns, its interior patio with Tuscan style columns. It was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument and is the headquarters of the Royal Institute of Asturian Studies (RIDEA), which belongs to the Provincial Council of the Principality.
  • Palace of Valdecarzana-Heredia (Plaza de Alfonso II El Casto, old town): it is in the Baroque style. It was built in the seventeenth century, by the Marquis of Valdecazarna. Then in the 18th century it was inhabited by Mr. Antonio Heredia Velarde, who was mayor of the city and commissioned the current facade to the architect Manuel Reguera. It was the casino of the city during the 19th century and until the Republic. It is currently the headquarters of the Asturias Territorial Court.
  • Palace of Santa María del Naranco: it is located on the outskirts of Oviedo on a hill. It is in the pre-Romanesque style of Ramirense. It was built by King Ramiro I, for personal use, between the years 842-850.

Museums in Oviedo

  • Holy Chamber of the Palatine Chapel of the Cathedral: It was ordered to be built in the 9th century by King Alfonso II and in it the Treasures and Sacred relics of the Cathedral of Oviedo are kept. Among other treasures it houses: the Holy Shroud, the Holy Ark, relics of the Vera Cruz, Christ Nicodemus ( 12th century). It was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
  • Archaeological Museum of Asturias (C / San Vicente, 3, Tel .: 985 21 54 05): it is located behind the cathedral. It was built in the 20th century and is located in the old San Vicente Monastery. It houses archaeological and ethnographic works and objects found in the Principality since the period of the Lower Paleolithic Gothic, with a special emphasis on the pre-Romanesque Asturian style, a precursor of this style in Spain and Europe.
  • Asturias Historical Archive (C / Del Águila, s / n): City history museum.
    Museum of Fine Arts (C / La Rúa, 8 and Santa Ana, 3, Tel.:985 21 30 61): it has been located since 1980, in the old Palace of Velarde, which was built in 1767 by Manuel Reguera . It is of baroque style.
  • Tabularium Artis Avulienses Museum (CardenalInguanzo, 6, Tel .: 985 21 36 44): it was created and sponsored by D. JoaquínManzanares Rodríguez-Mier, emphasizing pre-Romanesque-Asturian samples and archeology.

Restaurants in Oviedo

  • El Raitán Restaurant (Pl. DeTrascorrales, 6, Tel .: 98 521 42 18): typical restaurant where they serve the typical dishes of Asturian cuisine; Boots Restaurant (Pl. Del Ayuntamiento, 11, Tel .: 98 521 56 90:
  • Casa Fermín Restaurant (c / San Francisco, 8, Tel .: 98 521 64 52): updated signature and traditional cuisine;
  • La Corrada del Obispo Restaurant(c / Canóniga, 18, Tel .: 98 522 00 48): Asturian traditional cook;
  • La Puerta de Nueva Restaurant (Leopoldo Alas, 2, Tel .: 98 522 52 27): Author and traditional Asturian cuisine;
  • RestaurantAuditorium (3rd floor of the Auditorium, Pl. La Gesta, Tel .: 98 527 5080): signature and traditional cuisine;
  • Latores Cider Restaurant (c / Latores, s / n, Tel .: 98 527 57 99): traditional Asturian cuisine, casa conjardines;
  • Casa Amparo Restaurant (Arco de los Zapatos in Fontán, Tel .: 98 522 70 60): traditional cuisine.

Oviedo region

It is located in the area of ​​the central valleys and mountains. Ideal for adventure and mountain sports: hiking, rafting, bungee jumping, canoeing, jumping, ski courses, paragliding, bicycles, horse riding, mountaineering, mountaineering, bungee jumping ... It is made up of the municipalities of: Oviedo, Quirós, Belmonte de Miranda, LLanera, Grado, Nava, Cabranes, Noreña, Proaza, Somiedo, Las Regueras, Tameza, Tevergal, Riosa, Ribera de Arriba, Sariego, Santo Adriano, Salas and Siero.

  • Somiedo: Somiedo Natural Park. Horse trails.
  • Degree: Protected Landscape of Pico de Caldoveiro . It was founded by AlfonsoX el Sabio in 1256. Remains of the medieval wall.
    • PalaceMiranda-Caldecarzana: from the 16th century, restored in the 17th and 18th centuries. Current headquarters of the House of Culture.
    • Chapel of the Dolores: It is the most emblematic building in the city. The 3rd. Marqués de Valdecarzana in 1713-1716 and those of his lineage were buried in its crypt, although during the Civil War the tombs were desecrated. It is in the Baroque style, its architect was Francisco de la Riva Ladrón de Guevara.
    • House of the FernándezMiranda: It is in the neoclassical and baroque style, from the 18th century.
  • Prowess: Protected Landscape of Pico de Caldoveiro, ideal for hiking.
    • Church of Sta. Mªde Bandujo: it is in the Romanesque style.
    • House of the Bear: museum about the construction of the railway and what was the Senda del Oso.
  • Tameza: Protected Landscape of the Pico de Caldoveiro.

  • Tevergal: Protected landscape of the Pico de Caldoveiro.
  • Quiros: Protected Landscape of the Sierra de Aramo and Protected Landscape of PeñaUbiña
    Morcín: Protected Landscape of the Sierra de Aramo.
    Prehistoric origins of the Paleolithic.
    • Prehistoric utensilss: utensils from the inferopaleolithic or Mousterian (Paleolithic), have been found in the council of Castielluo Peñerúes.
    • Torreón de Peñerrudes: 12th century. Medieval defensive tower. It was declared a Historic Monument.
    • Chapel of San Miguel: where in the twelfth century, King Alfonso II, kept the Holy Ark, which contained relics from Jerusalem, to protect them from the infidels. From that moment on, the chapel was renamed the Holy Chamber.
    • Molín Cave: cave drawings. Declared a Site of Cultural Interest.
    • Hermitages of Above (dedicated to Santa Catalina or Santiago) and de Abajo or Santa María Magdalena de Monsacro: Declared Historic Artistic Monuments in 1992.
    • Church of Santa Eulalia: It is in the pre-Romanesque style and was built in the 9th century.
  • Riosa: Protected Landscape of the Sierra de Aramo.
Related Reading:
  • Restaurants in Oviedo
  • Pre-Romanesque Route
  • Oviedo Photos
  • Natural Parks in Asturias
  • Routes and Hiking in Asturias
  • Festivities in Asturias
  • Community Guide. Autonomous of the Principality of Asturias
  • Camino de Santiago through Asturias
  • Asturias hotels
  • Telephone Numbers of Interest in Asturias
  • Beaches in Asturias

Video: Oviedo, Asturias, Spain, Europe


  1. Mikasa

    Win response)

  2. Schmuel

    a very good idea

  3. Sein

    Nice post! I drew up a lot of new and interesting things for myself! I'll go give a link to a friend in ICQ :)

  4. Zulkimuro

    The excellent message gallantly)))

Write a message

Previous Article

How to become invisible

Next Article

Choosing art for the home